Friday, September 02, 2005

LIFE THROUGH THE SPIRITUAL LENS.

I find Christ’s capacity for discerning the spiritual need behind critical worldly situations fascinating. The fact that he didn’t heal every ailing individual he came across is testimony to this. He managed to discern both the spiritual motivation behind a physical manifestation and the spiritual impact on the Kingdom of his intervention. His recognition of these factors determined the extent of his involvement.

"I have no husband," she replied. Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true." (John 4:1). In this instance with the Samaritan woman Jesus’ recognition of her history both convicts her of her sin and inspires her to evangelize her village.

In John 9 we have an incident where Jesus gives sight to a man born blind. Outraged that this healing occurred on the Sabbath the Pharisees question the man, accusing Jesus of sinning by breaking the Mosaic Law. The man’s remarkable response is testimony to Jesus’ wisdom and discernment in choosing to heal this particular man;

A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. "Give glory to God, " they said. "We know this man is a sinner.
"He replied, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"
Then they asked him, "What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?"
He answered, "I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples, too?"
Then they hurled insults at him and said, "You are this fellow's disciple! We are disciples of Moses! We know that God spoke to Moses, but as for this fellow, we don't even know where he comes from."
The man answered, "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will. Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."
To this they replied, "You were steeped in sin at birth; how dare you lecture us!" And they threw him out.

From blind beggar to articulate, theological advocate in one easy lesson: “I was blind but now I see”.

The Gospels are replete with such examples of Jesus' wisdom and discernment. Jesus views every situation through the spiritual lens; constantly responding to the question: will this action echo in the Kingdom? I want to view life the same way.

Precious Lord Jesus, I want some of what you’ve got. The wisdom to see situations as they truly are – not just as they appear. Imbue me with the discernment to see the spiritual ramifications of my interventions and not just the immediate psycho/physical result. In your precious name. Amen.

5 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger Callmeteem said...

I pray regularly for discernment to see the heart--the real need behind the obvious.
And I do have the discernment to recognize spam when I see it.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger maverick mindset said...

Thanks for the comment Tim. Looks like I'm gonna have to do something about the spam though.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger John said...

Blogger has Word Verification to use Grant, seems to stop them, I just delete them forever! BTW a great post!

GBYAY

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger maverick mindset said...

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice John. I'm instituting it immediately so I can enjoy spam free blogging. God Bless.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is how I found your blog: I was studying the recent surge in gold prices, as I have investments in gold property. I prayed to God to reveal to me his spiritual gold, as that is my heart's cry, and gaining wealth is a blessing but not the heart of God. By faith, expecting God to lead me to spiritual gold I did a google search 'spiritual gold Jesus' and went to the 30th search item (your blog,) typifying the price of redemption.

Your maverick mindset does indeed find that which is hidden and bring it to light, more gold for the kingdom. This wisdom is the spiritual gold I was praying for revelation about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home