Saturday, July 01, 2006

BELOW THE BOTTOM LINE


Oh, It's good to be blogging again. The last few months have seen me so busy dealing with the other aspects of my life (parenting, partnering, puppetry, Kid's Church, working, looking for work et al..) that the very idea of blogging has just seemed too hard and time consuming.. and I've been all the poorer for it. So it's time for me to get blogging again. So I'm back to sharing some random observations.

Some years ago a noted journalist wrote an article called : Below the bottom line. And in it he criticised the government of the time for putting the well being of the Australian Economy above the well being of the Australian people. His argument was that since the Government’s “bottom line” was the Economic status of the treasury, it followed that all governmental decisions and actions were dictated by that bottom line. Therefore not only did the majority of the Australian people not factor into those decisions, they suffered from them – they fell below the Australian Government’s "bottom line".

Our behaviour is governed by our “bottom line”. If our bottom line is “money” then our behaviour will be governed by a determination to acquire it. If our bottom line is being liked/ being popular then our behaviour will be determined by that. If our bottom line is pleasing our spouse then our behaviour will be impacted by that desire, similarly if our bottom line is displeasing our spouse our behaviour will be governed by that.

Jesus wants our bottom line to be him. He wants our behaviour to be governed entirely by him.

John 13:12-20
12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them.
13 "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am.
14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.
15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
16 I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
and
20 I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me."

Precious father
, Strengthen our hearts Lord God, that we might continue to make Jesus the bottom line of our lives, the dictator of all our decisions, the governor of all of our actions. Amen.

1 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger John said...

Welcome back mav, you have been missed!

Be encouraged!
GBYAY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home